"There's a better way to do it. Find it."
Thomas Edison (1847-1931) has been hailed as the world’s greatest inventor. Among his many inventions (1,093 patents) are the phonograph, motion picture camera and the light bulb (including the entire electric power industry). He also created the basic approach to industrial research and development (R&D) still used today.
Besides being an inventor he really stands out as an innovator and entrepreneur which is one of the reasons TIME Magazine stated he is “still relevant today”.
Charles Edison Fund, sister fund of Edison Innovation foundation engages in licensing the Edison Intellectual property ("Edison IP") to generate extra revenues to support programs run by Edison Innovation Foundation.
The Edison IP licensing is accomplished either with outside representatives or it's extensive social media platform.
A recent example of an Edison license involves the new Intel-Edison Compute module (chip) which evolved out of formal license between the Fund and Intel Corporation.
Below is a photo of the module and the "Edison Tommy" award given to 3 best internet developers using the module in a new and creative way.
List of Edison Intellectual Property (“I.P.”)
• Edison Trademarks and Logos owned by the Fund.
• Edison Name (“Thomas A. Edison”), as it applies to all the intellectual property as a
whole, listed in this section.
• Edison Images and Media Logos.
• Edison Quotes.
• Edison Artifacts and Memorabilia owned by Edison Foundations.
• Access Agreement with National Park Service for Thomas Edison National Historical
connections (including “Facebook” and Blog pages).
• Edison Branding and Marketing Material (online and offline).
• Edison “Awards” and various Busts, Statues and Trophies presented to contributors and
• Edison Photos and Letters (including Family letters) and related documents.
Edison Licenses Past & Present
• U.S. Automaker (gas engine)
• Commercial for personal hygiene product
• Innovation commercial
• Korean Industrial Co.
• Korean MP3 Maker
• Japan Patent Office
• Wall Street Brokerage
• Edison Nation
• Large software company
• U.S. Automaker, electric vehicle
• European Pharma Company